Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stand Mixer

Stand Mixer

So, I'm getting a stand mixer for my birthday!!
    Anyone have recommendations for which brand/model to get?
    I know I want one that has the dough attachment of course. Is the dough attachment OK for making cookie dough? I usually mix the flour in by hand, but am hoping my new stand mixer will do the work for me!!
    This one got good reviews so I'm considering this..
    http://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-KSM...8597975&sr=1-1

Also, is a 5 qt bowl big enough for say, a batch of NFSC??

I think I am one of the few who don't care for Kitchen Aid Mixers. I know there is now a new attachment paddle that really allows you to scrap the bowl, which was one of my major complaints.

But I am in LOVE with my 7qt Cuisinart Mixer! I can do 2 batches of my recipe which would be for 9 cups of flour and it mixes all the way on the bottom. And it has a timer which is wonderful to use when making the royal icing. And it is so much lighter and easy to move around the kitchen.

Alyson, I think once you have your stand mixer, you will decide that your "hand" mixing in the flour days are gone!

Senior Member Nanny's Sugar Cookies's Avatar
    I love my mixer! I bought it in Jan 2009 - Kitchenaid 6 quart pro 600, lift bowl model. I bought it online from www.everythingkitchens.com for $339 free shipping. I love the 6 qt, I make a double batch of dough at a time (6 cups of flour). I still have my old kitchen aid a lift bowl I think it is 5qt but not nearly as powerful as my new one, the new one is worth every penny I spent! In the old mixer when I made a double batch would have to put a kitchen towel over the top of the bowl to keep the ingredients from flying out during mixing, but it was a very good mixer and i really liked it until I bought the new bigger one. I use my old one now for royal icing only. oops forgot... I use the paddle attachment for mixing the dough and royal icing.
    Nanette AKA Nanny's Sugar Cookies, LLC
    www.nannyssugarcookies.com
    Facebook - Nanny's Sugar Cookies LLC

I have 2 kitchen Aids - one that's a 5 qt tilt head and one that's a 6qt bowl lift. I love them both!! I use the dough hook for bread dough, but the paddle beater for cookie dough... and cake batter, and icing.

I bought the 5 qt. Kitchenaid a couple of months ago...I don't have any regrets. I may not do the volume that a lot of others do, but I can make a double batch in mine as well, I am sure the one with more power does it a little easier, but still doable. One thing to consider (which was part of my deciding factor) was that the bigger one with the "lift" bowl is taller and would not fit under my kitchen cupboards, since I did not want it sitting out in the middle of my countertop or God forbid have to move this heavy thing every time I used it...it was a no brainer for me. Lots of things to consider...good luck on your decision.

Also, if you are still considering the one you showed and you have a Kohl's near you, you might want to check there first. When I got mine, I paid about about $215 TOTAL AND I got Kohl's cash besides...smokin' deal. Now they don't have a lot of color choices, but if that is not a huge factor, you might want to check them out. I just received my 15% off coupon and they are giving Kohls cash starting today.
    Terri
    There's a skinny girl who lives inside of me that's screaming to get out...I can usually shut her up with cookies!

Fresh Cut Flours

Senior Member Lynda's Sweet Edibles's Avatar
    I have a Cusinart 6 quart (wish I had the 7 quart). I use to have a kitchen-aid and when it burned out I decided to go with the Cuisinart. I have been totally satisfied. With the exception of not getting the larger one there is nothing about this mixer I do not love. It has a timer which is so nice, it gets to the bottom of the bowl which I had problems doing with my kitchen-aid and I now don't dread having to move my mixer from one counter to my work area counter top it is so light compared to the Kitchen aid. If you have a store where you can go to compare the two. Pick up the cusinart model and you will be able to see the difference in weight but I know mine even though it's lighter has a more powerful motor then my Kitchen-aid had. I'm afraid with all the cookies I make though I will never burn it out so I can get the bigger one LOL. I'm putting it on my Christmas list anyways and if I get it I'll just hand down the six quart to my daughter.

Thank you all so much! This is a lot of great info that I will sort through before I make a decision. I think I was right to ask some cookiers this question, since you are all so familiar with making batches of cookie dough! I really appreciate the feedback.

Happy [belated] birthday to ME!!! I went with the Cuisinart. So excited to try it out!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cuisinart.jpg  
    Last edited by alyson_a; August 1st, 2010 at 01:50 PM.

Senior Member Lynda's Sweet Edibles's Avatar
    Happy Birthday Alyson!!! I'm sure you'll love it. I love mine. No#1 thing I love is that although mine sits on my counter, I have to move it to the area where I work when doing my cookies and at least I don't strain my back (lol) when I move it like I use to with my kitchen-aid. that is just one of many advantages I'm sure you'll find that you love.

Happy Belated Birthday Alyson!

Yes I agree with Lynda about how much lighter the Cuisinart is and makes for easy moving. But I think my favorite is the timer when making icing. I can make icing the same consistency every time!