Thread: Paint your own cookies

Paint your own cookies

Hi everyone.....hope you are having a great summer. Aside from 100 degree days here, life is good. So, I know I have asked about this before, but I'm having trouble getting it through my brain. I'm making Paint Your Own Cookies for Vacation Bible School this week. I understand how to do it and I have viewed Montreal Creations video. On making the paint color palette, it looks like she has raised dots of color. I was going to use the sponge dauber to add the color for convenience. Are the raised dots just RI dots and the color put on over them? Will it work if you just have an iced cookie and sponge the color on to that? Also, do you have to use airbrush color gels? I have them, but just curious as to why. As always, thanks for the great advice!
    ....Sue

Senior Member Gingerhead Cookies's Avatar
    I think most people make dots that are royal icing transfers and airbrush the color onto the dots, then just stick the dots on the cookie. I would hate to individual paint or stamp all those dots.
    Lesley
    gingerheadcookies.com
    Twitter: @gingerheadcooki
    Instagram: @gingerhead_cookies
    www.facebook.Com/gingerheadcookies

Please take my advice with the understanding that I have never made these - just watched all of her videos - LOL...

I think the reason you need to use airbrush color is because the regular gel colors would not dry and then reactivate when the kids wet them. I am pretty sure that she sprays the color blocks, but as long as you make sure it's a light coating (so it dries), I think you could daub it on.

I've done it both ways... made "drops" of RI, then applied airbrush color with a brush, then attached them to a cookie...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0815141703.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	108.6 KB 
ID:	22260

and used a brush to apply airbrush color to an iced cookie. I didn't have a dauber handy and it went quickly

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0523151028a.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	113.8 KB 
ID:	22259

See! This is why I LOVE you all and this forum! Always such good answers. Why is it when you can't think something through yourself, the more you think on it the more confused you get!!!! LOL

Thanks everyone for your replies....now on to the cookies!
    ....Sue

I've not tried doing these so this is all good info to know. I agree, that everyone here is sooooooooo helpful.