Thread: De-greasing overly buttery cookies

Smile De-greasing overly buttery cookies

Don't ask me why I decided to increase the butter in my already many times modified NFS recipe! I hadn't used it in a long time and thought it could use some tweaking (why can't I stop trying to improve recipes???). Guess what an extra 1/2 stick of butter does to a 1000 gram flour batch does? Makes the cookies so greasy you have to wipe your fingers off if you touch them at all. Imagine the shiny grease slicks that would make on a tray of leaning or stacked cookies! To maker matters worse, I mixed up 2 triple batches of dough!!!

Googling "greasy cookies" didn't find a cure. The oven was turned off but still warm. So I transferred the cookies onto sheets lined with double layers of paper towels under them and over the tops stacking one tray on top of the other (like you do when the cookies are on the "medium rare" side). Popped them back into the warm oven and let the excess butter drain out for at least 30 minutes and changed the towels once. IT WORKED! I remember my Mom cooling cookies on tea towels that were grease stained from previous uses but I wanted some gentle heat to drive out more of the grease faster and didn't want to sacrifice tea towels to the cause. The cookies did NOT dry out, get any browner, did not pick up any paper towel flavor and the paper towels didn't brown either! Good thing I had a big supply of bounty adjust-a-size paper towels because I've got plenty more batches to bake and degrease before I reach the end of my "new & improved" NFS! I just couldn't bear to toss all of that dough with salted caramel chips in it.

Hope you never need to degrease your cookies but at least you will know one way that works.
    If there is another, please share
    Barbara

Be who you are
    Say how you feel
    Those that mind don't matter
    Those that matter don't mind

I've never had to degrease cookies, but I'm bookmarking this post just in case!! Glad it all worked out. I hate tossing dough!
    http://www.cookied-oh.blogspot.com/

*Successfully holding out against Facebook since 2004!*

Hi Barbara! I have to say, I have never even heard of "degreasing cookies" LOL! But aren't you a smart "cookie" for figuring it out! I'm more interested in your comment of "medium rare" cookies. There have been times when I've taken cookies out that I felt could be more done, but returning them to the oven didn't work so well. Please explain that trick to me!

Good to know you're in Richmond.....I'm not far away....in Suffolk! Hi there neighbor!
    ....Sue

Hi Sue! Glad to meet you! I think you are the closest CRU member to me There are some cookiers in Richmond but none here that I've met. Once a group of us from Maryland & Virginia got together for a meet-up including lunch, a cookie swap & a field trip to a local baking supply store. It was fun and nice to meet in person.

One fix for "medium rare" cookies is to leave then on the hot baking sheet. Pop another empty baking sheet in the oven long enough to heat it up (mere minutes). Put a sheet of parchment over the under-done cookies and stack the hot empty baking sheet directly on top of parchment covered tray. You are essentially creating a mini oven that mostly affects the cookie tops and middles but doesn't over brown the bottoms. You can leave the sheets stacked until they are cool. This can also help flatten cookie tops when needed.

I've had trouble adjusting to my convection oven. Even lowering the baking temperature resulted in cookies that were on the verge of top and bottom browning but underbaked in the centers. Naturally, I discovered the problem after the cookies were cool on the racks but felt a bit wet when I was moving them. I had luck putting them back in the oven preheated to 250-275 and baking them 10 or more minutes. They baked through but did not brown. They were a bit crisper when completely cooled but absorbed enough moisture from the icing to be the right texture.

Does seem like we can learn more from our mistakes than our successes!
    Barbara

Be who you are
    Say how you feel
    Those that mind don't matter
    Those that matter don't mind